POSTED IN GADGETRY...

June 9, 2007

WWDC predictions

Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference, coming up this week, is usually a showcase not only for the latest OS X innovations but also a few hardware surprises. Any predictions for what's in store for us when Uncle Steve takes the stage? New brushed-metal iMacs? Leopard "secret features" revealed at last? A Beatles iPod?

6 comment(s) so far (Post your own)

On June 10, 2007 8:44 AM, Steven said:

I am going to go all crazy Apple fanboy here and say that we will see a 30" brushed Aluminum touch screen ipod with 200gb flash drive that is pre-loaded with Leopard running the new ZFS file structure.

I know this is coming, my neighbor's Aunt works in the mail room at Apple and they all have them there.

Seriously tough I just want to see what Leoipard has coming, a few hardware refreshes would be the ixing on the cake.

On June 10, 2007 4:03 PM, Warren Frey said:

Yeah, I imagine there'll be something, but it's almost useless to speculate. Nothing's hit Digg or Ars Technica as of yet, and usually big Apple news leaks about a day before the announcement. I can wait until the keynote (and the inevitable pounding of the 'refresh' button) to find out what Uncle Steve has planned.

On June 11, 2007 12:27 PM, Chris Burgess said:

Pretty dull Stevenote.

On June 11, 2007 3:40 PM, Warren Frey said:

I agree....some of the features in Leopard are cool, but the one more thing bit was a serious letdown. Though I am glad Apple is working Web 2.0 apps intot he iPhone...that means I'll have access to meebo and other web based workarounds for mobile computing.

On June 11, 2007 4:10 PM, Chris Burgess said:

I did a very rough and dirty test of Firefox vs Safari in Vista this afternoon, and Firefox renders pages about 2-3x faster than Safari. I'm talking solely of typing a url, hitting go, and waiting until the page is fully loaded. It was... dismal. Firefox on the OSX side is sluggish there's no doubt, but once it goes Cocoa in v3 maybe it'll be nicer. Nonetheless, Safari is so ugly and feature-deprived versus Firefox I can't see giving up the fox.

As for the Leopard features, not counting the ones already discussed/known, nothing is exciting. Transparency and 3d effects in the Finder... whoopie tilt. How about fixing the bugs instead of padding the fluff? The unified look and feel, well, it's about damn time. There's no good reason why the Finder, Mail and iTunes (arguably the three most-used apps for OSX users) each look different from the other. Coverflow in the Finder? Yawn. QuickView? How 1980s. Stacks? How 1970s. A fixed download folder in the dock? Wasted space!

Leopard is a fine-looking OS, it has a lot of spiffy features that I know I'll use, but I couldn't contain my yawns while watching the Stevenote transcript coming flooding across Firefox. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the more new stuff Apple releases, the more I realize I'm nowhere near their target demographic.

On June 14, 2007 1:51 PM, Jean-Paul Samson said:

I was just curious if Chris actually likes/uses any Mac applications whatsoever. I know he uses Firefox for his web browser, VLC for playing video. At some point I think he was using Eudora or some such for e-mail. Heh, I bet he has his Macbook Pro booted in Windows at this very moment! :-p